Smooth, creamy caramel ice cream infused with a touch of sea salt, with finely chopped chocolate chips mixed in.
A hot Summer day calls for some smooth, cold, creamy ice cream. Caramel ice cream infused with fine sea salt is a decadent chilled dessert that is delicious! Adding the finely chopped milk chocolate chips are optional, but they bring out the caramel flavor of the ice cream.
To prepare this ice cream recipe, you first create the caramel. Be sure and don’t overcook the caramel, as it will turn a dark brown. You want the caramel to be light brown, like a creamy latte color. After you add the milk, vanilla and fine sea salt, it is all mixed together, then transferred to the refrigerator until it’s cool.
When the caramel and milk mixture is churned in the ice cream maker (I use my Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker), it turns the mixture into delicious ice cream. Transfer the ice cream into a medium bown and stir in the chopped milk chocolate chips. Pour into a freezer safe container (I use my Cuisinart AMB-9LP 9-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Loaf Pan) and freeze for 4-6 hours until firm.
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 6 tbls butter
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup finely chopped milk chocolate chips
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the brown sugar, over medium to low heat.
- Stir for 3 minutes to caramelize, until the the mixture is smooth and thick, remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the heavy whipping cream into the hot caramel, whisky it constantly until smooth and well mixed.
- Whisk in the milk, vanilla and salt.
- Cover and refrigerator until cool.
- Process in an ice cream machine (I use Cuisinart small ice cream maker).
- Pour into a freezer safe container (I use a bread pan) and freeze for about 4-6 hours until firm.
Follow Me On: