Savory herbed roast and veggies, all in one pot for a delicious, easy-to-make meal!
One of my favorite ways to cook a roast is in the oven with veggies. I also like to cook it in the crockpot, but cooking it in the oven makes it taste delicious. The roast absorbs all the flavors of the beef stock, herbs, carrots and onions. Plus, it’s easy to make too. You just lightly brown your vegetables, remove them from the pot and lightly brown the meat. Then, you add the meat and veggies back to the pot, add your other ingredients, put it in the oven and let the oven do the rest of the cooking.
I like to serve this dish on Sundays. It reminds me of the meals we would eat when I was growing up. My mom would always cook meat and vegetables on Sundays. Now that I have my own family, I still like to cook a big meal on Sundays. Plus, if I cook a little extra, we get to have leftovers the next day…and that means I don’t have to cook the next day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 pound Chuck or Rump Roast
- 2 large onions, cut halfway
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 2 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add the onions and carrots and brown for about 1 minute. Remove them from the pot and set aside.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the pot.
- Lightly sprinkle the meat with kosher salt place the meat in the pot.
- Brown the meat for 1 minute on each side. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Pour the beef stock or broth in the pot and stir with a wisk to deglaze the pot.
- Sprinkle pepper on the meat.
- Add the meat and veggies back to the pot.
- Add the rosemary and thyme to the pot, cover with the lid and put in oven.
- Let it cook for 3 hours.
Follow Me On: