Fresh-picked tomatoes, cheese and creamy mayo make this dish melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
I love summer because I get to eat home-grown tomatoes! Not those greenhouse tomatoes that you buy in the grocery store, but the ones like you get from your dad’s or grandpa’s garden or buy on the side of the road from a local farmer. They have a distant aroma about them. When you slice a home-grown tomato the aroma smells so fresh.
One of my favorite fresh tomato recipes is a tomato pie. It’s so easy to make, yet tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen making it.
Are you ready to find out how to make it? Ok, here we go…
Gather your ingredients: a frozen 9″ pie crust, 3 large tomatoes, salt, garlic, fresh basil, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded mozerella cheese and mayonnaise.
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Bake the pie shell about 10 minutes. Let cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. While your pie shell is cooling, slice the tomatoes thin. Line the tomato slices in a single layer in a colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let the tomatoes set for 10 minutes. This will release the water in the tomato slices so your pie won’t be soggy.
Arrange 1 layor of tomato slices around bottom of the pie shell, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle half the garlic and basil on to the 1st tomato layer. Sprinkle half the cheddar and mozerella cheeses over the basil layer.
Repeat a 2nd layer. Spread mayo on the top.
Bake for about 30 minutes until the cheese is melted. Let cool and enjoy!
- 1 9" frozen pie shell
- 3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozerella cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Poke holes in the pie crust and bake until lighly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Place sliced tomatoes in a colander in a single layer and sprinkle with the salt.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to release the water from the tomatoes.
- Arrange 1 layer of tomato slices around bottom of the pie shell, overlapping the slices.
- Sprinkle half the garlic and half the basil on to the tomato layer.
- Sprinkle half the cheddar and mozerella cheese over the basil layer.
- Repeat a 2nd layer.
- Spread mayonnaise over the top.
- Bake in the oven about 30 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Wilton 26-piece Cake Pop Set Giveaway!
$40 Retail Price
As a thank you to my readers, I’m giving away a Wilton 26-piece Cake Pop Set! You can make Cake Pop treats at home with this baking set. Each pan makes a dozen individual desserts. These treats are a smart choice for parties because you don’t need plates or utensils. Set includes a 12 cavity pop pan, 14 pop sticks and a non-stick cooling grid.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway is open to USA residents only. It will close on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 12:00 am CST. One winner will be chosen. The prize will be shipped to the winner via USPS Urban Girl Bakes. The winner will be chosen randomly via Rafflecopter and will be contacted via email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to the email before another winner is chosen in their place. If you’re entered, be sure to check your junk mail! Winner will be announced on the giveaway widget just as soon as contact is made and the winner has been confirmed. GOOD LUCK!
Share your blog posts in the weekly link-up on Wednesdays!
Add any post you like of any genre from food to fashion and beyond!
Follow Me On: